Auto Body And Paint Prepper Job
The prepper’s job helps to restore damaged vehicles to their original structural integrity, function, and appearance. Assists collision repair, structural, mechanical, and/or refinish technicians while learning about vehicle repair in order to advance. Keeps and maintains work areas clean and organized.
This position prepares properly repaired and primed automotive body panels for refinish coat application, assuring all sand scratches and visible imperfections are removed or repaired prior to application of refinish topcoats. Assists in general body repair, disassembly, preparation for paint, vehicle re-assembly, and finish.
Auto Body and Paint Prepper Job Responsibilities
- Removes upholstery and trim prior to repair work; removes damaged fenders, panels, and grills using wrenches.
- Applies primer to surface on which vehicle will be painted. Sand blocks primed surface. Clean and masks vehicle in preparation for paint within the pre-established time.
- Cleans, buffs, and polishes repaired vehicles inside and out. Uses specialized equipment, material, and chemicals to remove dirt and dust, eliminate all evidence of repairs, and return vehicle to like-new appearance. May be responsible for final quality checks prior to delivering vehicle back to customer.
- Inspect all repaired and primed panels for proper and complete body repairs and primer application. Review any incomplete, missed damage, or improper repairs with management before proceeding.
- Mask/protect any adjacent panels (non refinish) from scratches or damage before final sanding.
- Prepare properly repaired and primed panels (including “blend” panels) for final finish application using abrasives, power tools, and hand tools.
- Avoid over-sanding (cutting through finish) or under-sanding (leaving sand scratches that will be visible in final finish) refinish panels.
- Clean and remove all dust and other particles from repair/refinish panels completely prior to moving completed vehicles to next step.
- Follows all safety and health procedures. Actively participates in support of all safety activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned by manager or supervisor, i.e., assist supervisor in training and orienting new employees, perform housekeeping duties, etc.
REQUIRED JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- the methods, materials, tools, and practices used in the area of specialization.
- the hazards and safety precautions applicable to work in the area of specialization.
- use and maintain tools and repair equipment.
- learn to perform tasks related to the area of specialization.
- understand and follow oral and written instructions.
Employees follow instructions in assisting in automotive body repair and paint activities. Work involves some disagreeable aspects and requires some physical exertion. Work is performed under the supervision of the owner.
Want to work at one of the best body repair shops in Van Nuys, California?
If you are interesting in this job and fulfill the requirements, give me a call at 818.785.2639 text 818.793.7728, or drop me a line.